Making Time

When you have seven kids and a husband that works seven days a week, finding time to train is nearly impossible.  Before I went back to work, I was trying to get back on a schedule of treadmill in the morning.  Sammy did not always cooperate with this one, since he wakes when I do and of course wants to nurse.  By the time I was finished with him and he was asleep, the whole clan was up and ready for breakfast.  Sometimes, I could run out two miles while they got dressed.  Another one or two while breakfast baked.  Then, naptime some more miles could get pounded out if Sammy slept too.  I've seen a lot of the treadmill these last few weeks.

A couple weeks ago, I started working again.  Finally, I was back into 4am wake up, nurse Sammy, and running by 5-6am before work.  At work, I take an hour lunch so I can go nurse baby at daycare.  Since it is only a mile there, I run it.  No matter how long the morning run was, I can get two more in during the day.

I am having to squeeze the runs in wherever and whenever I can.  I feel like my life revolves around finding any and all opportunities to run, even if just a mile here and a mile there.  Some days, it seems like that mentality has sucked the fun out of it.  It's made time management for training stressful.  No rest for the weary.  So, why do I do it?  Rather then de-stressing me like it once did, it's now a source of stress.  When am I going to fit it in?  Here?  Now?  Will the kids get along for 20 minutes?  Okay, can I have 10? 

Why do I bother?

Hood50.  Volcanic50.  These races I've already registered for.  Ten pounds.  I need to drop those pesky ten pounds of leftover baby weight.  I need to feel good about myself.  About what my body is capable of accomplishing.  I need to feel strong.  Because I have 7 kids and a husband that need me.  I need to be at my best.  I need to have a goal to work towards.  I need to have something that defines me beyond mother, wife, housekeeper, cook, care provider.  I am a runner.  A long distance runner.  I need to feel capable of running those trails for 30 miles.  Maybe even 50 miles.

Which brings me to the Mt. Hood 50 mile lottery.  The last I checked, I was #39 on the waitlist with 17 days to go.  Two weeks ago, I was #74.  I've bumped several spots a day.  I am already registered for the 50k.  After the lottery was over, I was sitting 160 spots down on the waitlist.  I thought there would be no way I'd get it.  Now, here I am, seeing the possibility get close.  I could be running 50 miles one day and going out again for a 50k the next day.  I've had two trail runs this year.  Both races.  My training is lacking.  Finding time and making time don't always work together.  What's a mother runner supposed to do?

To be continued when I have the answer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2018 Ultra Kick off: First Race Post Partum

Teanaway Trail Marathon and Half